2 striped snake-head fish (300 grams each)
1/4 cup sour curry paste (see page 13)
4 cups vegetable oil
4 cups water
4 tablespoons fish sauce
1/2 teaspoon palm sugar
2 tablespoons limejuice
5 tablespoons tamarind juice
200 grams water mimosa, cut into short sections
1. To prepare the fish: Remove the scales, guts and gills. Rub with some salt to remove slime. Cut one fish in halves, clean and pat dry. Clean the other fish and cut lengthwise from head to tail. Put aside
2. Bring a pot of water to a boil over high heat. Add the first fish and boil until it is tender.
3. in a mortar, pound the chili paste and cooked fish to a fine paste. Put aside.
4. In a pan, heat the oil over medium heat. Fry another fish until it is crisp. Remove and drain off the excess oil.
5. To prepare the soup: Bring a new pot of water to a boil over medium heat. Stir in the chili mixture. Season to taste. It should have a perfect balance of salty, sour and sweet.
6. Arrange the fried fish on a serving platter. Place water mimosa on the sides.To serve: Bring the soup to a rolling boil. Pour over the fried fish and vegetable. Serve immediately.