1 papaya (300 grams), nearly ripe
300 grams tiger prawns
5 cups water
3 slices malabar tamarind
2 tablespoons sea salt
2 tablespoons fish sauce
2 tablespoons palm sugar
1/4 – 1/2 cup tamarind juice
40 large red hot chilies
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 stalk lemongrass, sliced
25 small cloves garlic
1/4 cup curry paste
1 slice turmeric, about2 inches long
2 teaspoons shrimp paste
1. To prepare curry paste: In a mortar, pound chilies and salt thoroughly. Add lemongrass, garlic, turmeric and Shrimp paste. Pound until a fine paste is obtained.
2. Peel the papaya and clean well. Cut the flesh into thin slices and put aside
3. Clean the prawns.Trim off the tentacles and put aside.
4. Place a pot of water over medium heat. Add the curry paste, stirring to mix well. Bring to a boil and add the papaya. Cook until the papaya is slightly tender. Add the prawns and cook until they are done. Add the malabar tamarind. Season to taste. It should have a perfect balance of sour, spicy and salty. Bring to a boil again and turn off the heat
5. Ladle into a serving bowl and serve.